If you participate in outdoor sports – whether that’s running, cycling or some other active pursuit – sunglasses can serve the purpose of protecting your eyes not just from the sun’s rays, but also from wind, dust, flying insects and other possible hazards. Choosing the right pair of sports sunglasses can support your performance and, conversely, a poor choice of sunglasses can only hamper it. Here are five considerations you should take into account when shopping for sports sunglasses.
- Adjustable fit – If you’re going to be wearing shades while engaged in a sporting activity, a secure fit is one of the top considerations. An adjustable fit helps ensure that the fit is just right for your face and head, and will make sure your sunglasses stay firmly on throughout your activity.
- Scratch-resistant – If you’re performing an outdoor sport, and particularly if you’re traveling at speed, then your sunglasses will be more prone to being scratched or damaged by dust, small stones and other particles that are thrown up. Choosing sunglasses with good scratch-resistant lenses will help prevent damage.
- UVA & UVB protection – Not all sunglasses are created equal, and lenses can vary in the degree of protection they provide against harmful ultraviolet rays. For the optimum level of protection in your sporting sunglasses, always choose shades that are labeled as providing 100 percent UV protection.
- Anti-reflective lenses – Sunlight reflects off surfaces to create glare, and this can hinder sporting performance, sometimes dangerously. Sunglasses with polarized lenses don’t just protect the eyes from UV rays, but are also filtered to eliminate glare. Polarized lenses are particularly recommended for water-based pursuits, as well as snow sports such as skiing and snowboarding, where glare can seriously hamper performance.
- Fashion – Alongside all the other practical considerations, you also want to look good! Shop for your preferred style and color, and remember to choose a frame shape that complements the shape of your face.
Whatever your sport of choice, protecting your eyes is vital. Keep these tips in mind when shopping for sports sunglasses to ensure your eyes receive the maximum possible protection.